Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Recipe: Simple Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie (kid-approved!)

I love cooking but it's been awhile since I posted a recipe! I haven't done so since October, in fact, when I posted my recipe for Sprouted Wheat Pumpkin Muffins (which have become a staple in our house)!

This morning I really felt like making the kiddos something a little different for breakfast, which they totally appreciated! I guess it's unrealistic to expect them to enjoy oatmeal every day even if I give it fun names like "special oatmeal" (which means I threw in a tablespoon of sugar) or if I add "secret ingredients" (almond extract)! This morning we had a twist on an old favorite... smoothies!



My smoothies often contain peanut butter or PB2 but this time I switched things up and served it with a side of roasted peanuts in fun little containers. I figure the chewing action may increase the time it takes for them to inhale breakfast by, say, a few tenths of a second, which is a good thing. Clever, I know. My oldest joked that he was eating "PB3". PB1 is traditional peanut butter, PB2 is powdered peanut butter and now PB3 is "homemade" peanut butter aka roasted peanuts decimated in your mouth. He gets his wits from his mom, thank-you-very-much. 

So today's smoothie recipe was simple:

4 cups of coconut milk
2 scoops of Vitacost Earth Blends Chocolate Pea Protein Powder (non-GMO and made with stevia! yay!)
2 whole bananas
1 green smoothie cube (frozen pureed greens like spinach, kale & chard)
1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil

That's it! I threw everything into the blender and breakfast was ready!

Yields: 4 (kid-sized) servings or 2 adult portions

Another thing that made this smoothie different was the protein powder we used. I was thrilled to find Earth Blends Chocolate Pea Protein Powder from Vitacost and I'm even more thrilled that it tastes good! And you already know I'm happy that it contains stevia instead of sugar and doesn't have any GMOs. 


If you haven't already started using Vitacost, I highly recommend it! Their prices are great and shipping is free on orders over $49. Shop through my link and you'll get a $10 coupon to use on your first order (and so will I. Thank you!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment