Friday, September 27, 2013

What to have for lunch when you don't know what to have for lunch

About an hour before lunchtime the other day I realized that I had no idea when we were going to eat for lunch. While I had a menu plan for the week's dinners, lunch had admittedly become an afterthought. So, with some quick thinking I decided on rice and beans. 

It was phenomenal.
recipe adapted from here

Here's a quick version of the recipe which made about 4 adult servings:

Cook up 3 servings of brown rice (I used 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice in my rice cooker which takes about 40 minutes)

Meanwhile chop up one medium tomato, one small onion and a handful of fresh cilantro. 

Wait for rice to cook. 

When rice is finished, add two tablespoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, a dash of chili pepper powder, some diced jalapeno. (Or you can substitute 1 teaspoon of chili powder for 1/2 teaspoon cumin and all of the paprika, oregano & chili pepper. If your chili powder has salt in it, you might also want to reduce the salt a bit). 

Stir in 2 cans of drained beans (we used organic kidney but I'm sure black or pinto would be great as well), chopped tomato, onion and cilantro. Top with shredded cheddar. 

Enjoy! 

How about you? What's your favorite quick, homemade lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment