Friday, August 30, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal

This morning I rolled out of bed and you know what I thought? I thought: boy, I could eat a chocolate chip cookie! For real. Not, gee, I wonder if it's going to rain today or I wonder if hubby had a good night's rest. Cookies. I thought about cookies. With chocolate chips.

Now, I'm not proud of this fact. But I thought since we're being real lately...

In all reality, this little sweet treat I came up with is not completely unhealthy! It's got oats after all and a good dose of healthy fats. It can easily be made dairy-free. And when you stop to think about it, it's really not all that different from chocolate chip pancakes. So there.

Please excuse the low-quality webcam photo! And, yes no need to ask,
those are my bed sheets. I ate a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast in my bed.

Recipe:

Start but cooking 1/2 cup oats (minute or whole, either will work) in water in the microwave as directed on package. Stir in 1/2 Tablespoon butter or ghee (for a healthy, dairy-free alternative). Add 3 teaspoons of brown sugar, a dash of vanilla extract and a dash of sea salt. Stir to combine. Finally top with 1 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips (we like Enjoy Life brand as a dairy-free option). I prefer not to mix in my chocolate chips or they just melt. I like to scatter them about and eat one or two with each spoonful of oatmeal. Enjoy!

1 comment: