Monday, February 25, 2013

The gift God gave me yesterday

Yesterday, February 24, is a day of memories for my family. An emotional "holiday" on the calendars of our hearts. This year marked nine years since my dad tragically died. Some of you know the details and others of you do not but that is a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother time. Regardless, it has been over nine years since I last saw my earthy father and the reality of that is still heavy for me some days. 

My mom, sister and I decided to go out for brunch together yesterday as a way of spending some time together on this particularly difficult day. On my way driving to the restaurant -- alone in the car-- I was beginning to think of all the memories and was admittedly getting a bit choked up. Soon I saw a red-tailed hawk fly over my car, which is not really a rarity these days around where I live. I smiled and thought, "now Lord, if only you'd have sent me an eagle then I'd really be more at peace in this situation!" I said it to myself in more of a joking, smiling manner (rather than an arrogant or tempting manner). You see, Isaiah 40:29-31 has been very instrumental to me, helping me with my grief over this. It began with my lovely [and talented] cousin singing Power of Your Love at my dad's funeral. 

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:29-31

I also knew that this eagle request was not too far-fetched as I had saw my first bald eagle in the wild just weeks earlier near the location I was driving to!

At the time, I was listening to a local Christian radio station and some of the songs, let's face it, have been played a little too often. I heard the instrumental beginning of a song I knew (and actually previously really liked so much that I bought the CD). I sighed and decided to jump stations. I quickly changed to one or two other stations and then, something drew me back to the original station. When I got back, the instrumental part was still playing and then the song began:


I'm so very ordinary, nothing special on my own.
Oh, I have never walked on water,
And I have never calmed a storm.

Sometimes I'm hiding away from the madness around me
Like a child who's afraid of the dark
Chorus:
But when I call on Jesus,
All things are possible
I can mount on wings like eagles' and soar
When I call on Jesus,
Mountains are gonna fall
'Cause He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call

Weary brother, broken daughter
Widowed, Widowed lover you're not alone 
If you're tired and scared of the madness around you 
If you can't find the strength to carry on
Chorus:
When you call on Jesus,
All things are possible
You can mount on wings like eagles' and soar
When you call on Jesus,
Mountains are gonna fall
'Cause He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue you when you--

Call Him in the morning', in the afternoon time
Late in the evening' He'll be there
When your heart is broken,
And you feel discouraged,
You can just remember that He said 
He'll be there
Chorus (2x):
When I call on Jesus,
All things are possible
I can mount on wings like eagles' and soar
When I call on Jesus,
Mountains are gonna fall
'Cause He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me 

I asked for an eagle and... I got an eagle! Not at all in the way that I expected the eagle to arrive yet the perfect eagle, better than I ever could have planned. 

Now I have heard this song a lot yet God never spoke to me through it the way He did yesterday. I am still in awe. The fellowship with my mom and sister-- and the yummy stuffed french toast-- were wonderful gifts in themselves. I would have been at peace with just that. But God went one step further and gave me His comfort and blessed assurance on a day that I needed it most! To Him be all the glory, honor & praise!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how he blesses us so unexpectedly some days? :) Glad he gave you a gift on a day you needed it most!

    ReplyDelete