Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Things I never knew could exist in my kitchen before...

Tonight we had homemade egg rolls* with sweet & sour sauce along side our ham vegetable soup. Not only were the egg rolls delicious and healthy (baked!) they were super easy to make, too!

My frugal nature-- combined with my daughter's new-found allergy to corn-- has led me down some exploratory roads in the kitchen these days. A few weeks ago I cooked this awesome Korean beef recipe and it was a huge hit. A few weeks prior to that we ate homemade funnel cakes as part of our dinner (yes, funnel cakes). Another huge hit, which competes with the kid-favorite-corn-laden-chicken-nugget, was leftover chicken croquettes (modified by adding two tablespoons of mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard).

I'm loving the fact that so many foods-- like Chinese food-- that I once thought were only available by take-out are now things I'm cooking up right here in the comfort of my own home and they're always healthier, always cheaper and always corn- and dairy-free.

Has your pocket-book or diet caused you to become more adventurous in the kitchen? We'd love to hear all about it!

*egg roll recipe to follow pending the approval of the lovely family member who shared her recipe with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment