Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Day on the cheap

Valentine's day? What's that? When? On Monday. Already?

Hope everyone is not as dismal as me about this upcoming holiday. It's supposed to be cute, it's supposed to be romantic. But with three young kids and a lingering viral infection, romanticizing this V-day will be a long shot (even for cupid)!

Valentine's day has a way of sneaking up on me every. single. year. What's worse (or perhaps better?) is that hubby's birthday falls exactly one day before this love-ly holiday. I mean, seriously, we're not going to go out to eat twice or make two cakes. We're just going to mush it all together like we do every year. I think hubby is quite honest when he says he doesn't mind. I hope so anyway!

This is admittedly pessimistic, but I thought I'd share anyway. As a frugal family on one income we believe:

     Flowers are beautiful a waste of money.
     Candy makes you smile fat.
     Jewelry is thoughtful out of the question.
     Lingerie will spice things up never again be seen on this body.
     A gourmet dinner out is totally romantic not in the budget.

But, in all seriousness, besides the Death by Chocolate Cake I'll be baking (and the free Red Robin birthday burger) what could I do for hubby this V-day on the cheap??

So, what I've come up with is an adaptation of the love verses of the Bible (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).


Love is patient and kind; 
love does not envy or boast; 
it is not arrogant or rude. 
It does not insist on its own way; 
it is not irritable or resentful; 
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, 
but rejoices with the truth. 
Love bears all things, believes all things, 
hopes all things, endures all things. 
Love never ends.

I am going to take it verse by verse and add my own comments about wonderful husband. If I have time, I'll make it all pretty and frame it and if I don't have time, I'll simply present it to him in black and white on plain paper! Either way, it's going to be the words that mean the most. 

So, what will your Valentine's day on the cheap look like?

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! I LOVE this post!! Its so like us too! It rang oh so true... Valentines day on the cheap for us is my Mom taking the kids so we can have a night off, and TALK. Usually we do dinner at home (I make something special, and we use the pretty plates, and possibly we buy a bottle of wine) And we just chat and do whatever we like. Maybe a movie on instant netflix, and some childless snuggling. For us, romance is defined as: time spent not being interrupted by screaming, crying, or even smiling little faces. Time that we can be adults, and spend time alone like we did when we were dating. Sometimes, we troll the mall and do a little window shopping. (this is not for everyone.) Maybe this year, we'll take a run together and do a training session. Alone.
    Valentines day on the cheap depends on what you call romantic, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a homeschooling Mom, whose 6 kids are all grown up! So, now, I'm a stay at home Grammom! For the kids, for Valentine's Day, we would make homemade roll-out sugar cookies dyed pink. It was lots of fun to decorate them with icing or cheap sprinkles bought in bulk from Echo Hill Country Store. These were much nicer and a lot cheaper than buying gimmick-y Valentine's Day cards. Our kids would eat plenty and give some away to those they loved. My husband always bought me a single rose for Valentine's Day. I know flowers are expensive, but one rose, for his "rose" (check out my name) was something he did out of his "mad money." The florist he used to buy from is now closed (an inexpensive one on the way home from work.) Surprisingly, I do not miss that rose as much as I thought. Now we just spend an extra few minutes together staring into each others eyes and remember when...

    ReplyDelete