Monday, February 14, 2011

A mother's love

When most people think of Valentine's Day they tend to think of a romantic evening spent with the love of their life. But this V-day, with just two weeks of blogging about parenting under my belt, I can't help but think of the love a mother has for her children.

So, when does a mother love her child the most?

When her child is well-behaved? When he eats all of his vegetables? When he does his chores without asking? The answer to all of these questions is, undoubtedly, no! The reason this is true is because a mother's love is unconditional. Unconditional is an adjective meaning absolute or not limited by conditions.

Does my child's bad behavior make life more difficult? Yes, without question! But does it make me love him any less? No way! How about when my kids sneeze and snot all over me? Yes, this is not appealing and I could live without all those excess germs. But is it cause for me to withhold my love? Never!

Sure life is a bit simpler and more Leave-It-To-Beaver-like when the family is healthy and living in perfect harmony with one another but this is not TV, this is real life.

A mother's unconditional love reminds me of the love God has for us. It is not contingent upon us being "good" or praying a certain number of times every day. It always is and, as His chosen children, we should strive to be pleasing, to do things that please Him out of reverence for the love He has shown us, just like our children attempt to please us mommas by being respectful and obedient to us.

Many times our little rascals fall short, but, you know what, many times I fall short on God. Just as I quickly forgive and forget my children's shortcomings and go on loving them unconditionally, so does God. His wonderful mercies never cease, His love for us endures forever.

Here's to wishing you mommas a blessed Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Perfect topic for valentines day :) Since Ive slowly over the years thought this holiday is so commercial and overrated. We should express love for our spouse, children, & family with all our being EVERY day not one.

    ReplyDelete