Monday, February 21, 2011

Blogging intentions, not to be mistaken as cruel intentions

[a disclaimer of sorts]

The other day I had lunch with this fabulous young woman. She's a wife, a mom, a Jesus follower and in management at a local, reputable employer. She's one of my best friends and I love her!

Somewhere in between the time my little rascal spilled the entire toothpick dispenser and eating way too many crab rangoons (me, not her!), my friend joked that she was on the verge of blocking my blog because, as a working mother, it was making her feel extremely guilty.

I left lunch feeing elated at the fact that I got to see my friend and her curly-topped cutie but also felt a bit upset.

My intention in writing this blog has never been to point fingers at other moms accusing them of being bad parents. Yes, I know that I am speaking my mind and am going out on a limb expressing my opinions, but I want my friends and readers to know that it has never been with cruel intentions.

I firmly believe that God has given us parents a great responsibility-- He has entrusted little lives, little souls to us. When He gave us these precious gifts, He gave them to us because He felt we were ready, willing and able to care for them. Hear me out. This does not mean that you cannot properly be a responsible parent and work full-time. But, what it does mean, is that you are accountable for your children and how they grow, what the learn and how they thrive. My blog is to encourage all parents to take this role seriously and to be intentional about how we raise our children.


I also sympathize with the fact that not all moms can stay home (right now). I want to assure you that my family is not sitting pretty, rolling in the dough. We live frugally out of both necessity and personal convictions regarding how we should spend God's money. It is rarely easy but it is so worth it because it means I get to stay home with my rascals, raising them how I see fit and positively influencing them beyond measure.

As a quick side note, DIYp will be bringing on board fellow working mom Elizabeth Sacks of Musings of a Mad Mother because she can offer a unique perspective that I cannot! Elizabeth currently works full-time but aspires to be a stay at home mom and will blog about her experiences in attempting to make this transition.

I am not saying that daycare is the devil but I know that I wouldn't want my children to be there. I also know that daycare tends to initiate peer dependence which I am not a fan of and I know that a daycare's discipline has to, naturally, look different than my own tactics here at home. I know that there are some wonderful, committed people who take care of children in daycares throughout the country so that mothers can work but I doubt that any one facility is going to do things the way I would. Thing like: Are they feeding my children healthy snacks? Are they teaching my children about God? Are they making sure my children aren't being exposed to inappropriate media (even kid shows like Dora, Dinosaur Train and Clifford are not always okay in my book)!

I could go on and on about these subjects-- and I will throughout this blog-- because I am so passionate about the importance of raising children! I hope that DIYp continues to offer you encouragement and insight for parenting. If you have the earnest desire to stay home with your children, it is my prayer that your family will be able to overcome your financial obstacles and make it happen. Lord willing!

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me join the team Jenny! I'm so excited to be working with you! :)

    ReplyDelete