Saturday, January 29, 2011

You're only perfect at being you!

I fully understand the importance of reading God's Word. I really do. I understand that it is one of the ways in which He talks to us and instructs us through this tricky life we live. However, I was feeling a bit guilty last night because I didn't get my daily Bible reading time in. But, I got to thinking, just because I may not sit down to read the Bible every day, that doesn't mean that I am not actively pursuing God. In order to feel less guilty about my supposed negligence, I was forced to stop and think about what I did do that day that brought glory to Him. And, as it turns out, nurturing my sick child, writing about my faith and praying for a hurting friend all made the list. 

Many mothers-- including myself-- are too hard on themselves! We tend to dwell on the three things that we didn't get checked off the to-do lists instead of celebrating the eight things that we did accomplish. We think that if we don't serve our families a four-course meal complete with a fresh baked apple pie only after having washed the windows, scrubbed all of the floors and completed four loads of laundry than we've somehow failed as a parent.

As a mother who likes to think she has control over most situations, I was stopped in my tracks yesterday. I should have anticipated the "excitement" after my son woke me up at 1AM crying because of a sore throat. Sure enough, a day I had set aside to wash dishes, fold laundry and bake muffins quickly turned into a day of cuddling with my preschooler (and chasing away his siblings in hopes that they would miraculously escape illness). But as a parent I've come to realize that each day holds it's own surprises, some are good ones (snow days!) while others are not-so-good ones (sore throats). How we choose to handle the forks in our roads, whether it be the failure to achieve a perfectly clean house or the unexpected middle of the winter illness, says a lot about who we are.

We are parents who shape lives and influence the attitudes that our kids will carry with them throughout their lives. And we need to remember that. If we are constantly pressured and stressed over achieving perfection in our homes, what kind of message are we putting out there? I don't know about you, but I want my children to have realistic expectations of themselves and I want them to know that the only perfect person who ever lived was Christ. And while we strive to be like Him, we do fall short. I want my kids to see first hand that I'm only perfect at being me!

2 comments:

  1. This is so true Jenny! my 'perfect day' really fell short yesterday, and rather than adopting the 'there is always tomorrow!' attitude, I really got stressed and upset that my day derailed. It stressed my kids out too. Moms do that alot. I do that alot. you hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! It came as a huge encouragment :)

    ReplyDelete