Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blessed re-assurance

This morning I awoke to a nasty head cold. I've been sludging on through the morning at a not so impressive pace, sipping hot drinks and feeling a bit helpless. Since I am still nursing my youngest I like to try to avoid most medicines including decongestants. However my congestion had grown so severe that I felt I had to do something. So of course my husband suggested the "natural" solution that is going outside for some fresh air. It sounded logical enough but, to be honest with you, I'm not much of an outdoors person. I am usually perfectly happy meandering around the house, cooking and cleaning, reading and writing. God's creation is truly beautiful, I just tend to enjoy it best in my armchair perched next to the window! After a bit of arm twisting, and the reassurance that hubby would head up the household after I got back so that I could lay down for a nap, I was sold. So I left the house to venture out into the snowy Pennsylvania countryside like a momma on a mission to feel better (and take a nap)!

Turns out the walk was really just what I needed. The views of the snow-covered trees and pristine white snow was a sight to see. The cold, fresh air was in fact just the remedy my nasal passages needed. I was breathing out of my nose-- something I hadn't done well in 48 hours-- in no time. And it got me thinking about... DIYparenting!

It got me thinking that, so many times in life we are afraid to leave our comfort zone. Just as I was hesitant to leave my warm, comfortable home this morning to get some fresh air, many working moms who really want to stay at home with their kids are hesitant-- afraid even-- to leave their comfort zone. Because living on one income often denotes living beneath your means and doing things you wouldn't normally choose to do (perhaps buying a used car instead of a new one), it can be scary! But if after careful brainstorming and planning, your family decides to cascade down to one income, I know you will be blessed!

I know that every family worries about things saying, how will we ever pay for college or go on family vacations together, if we're so short on money? And while I plan on writing posts specific to those topics in the near future, for now I would only say, that there are ways! For one, we need to remember that our children are only young once and usually within a few years (maybe 7 or 8) our children begin elementary school and us moms often have a nice window of opportunity to either return to our former careers or find some other full- or even part-time employment. In addition, we can't forget the endless possibilities for stay at home mom's to earn a little bit of extra income from home (usually perfect amounts for starting a college or vacation fund)! And, if or when we do return to the workforce, we will already have learned invaluable ways to live beneath our means and will be that much more likely be comfortable continuing in our frugal ways while saving the additional income!

In closing, I'd like to leave you with this Scripture verse, that always brings me reassurance:
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? -Matthew 6:25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment